Tuesday, February 27, 2007

flOw

My game discovery of the week, perhaps of the month, is flOw, for the PS3. "But Peter," you may ask with a quizzical look on your countenance, "you don't have a PS3." True. This minor inconvenience shall not stop me, however, as flOw can be played online. Give it a try.

I've yet to look through his entire thesis, but there's a hefty amount of philosophy behind flOw, created by Jenova Chen, who I was sad to learn had a real Chinese first name that didn't somehow magically preempt Sephiroth's mom by fifteen years or so. The concept is basically that if you plot Challenge vs. Ability, there's a middle ground (between boredom and frustration) in which games should seek to "flow," and the namesake game seeks that balance. So, it's pretty, it's fun, it's free, and it has the kind of academic and serious thought behind it that I'd like to see more of in the gaming world.

5 comments:

JavaBomberman said...

um. so they made ecco for the ps3... but they left out the dolphins. and they left out the ps3.

pete, I'm coming for your school.

Peter said...

This is what Echo the Dolphin was like? I still need to find a sega emulator and try that one out, Carl's constantly recommending it.

JavaBomberman said...

HAHAHA this is actually really for realz for the ps3!! aaahahaha I can't wait till people waste money on this crap. serves them right for wasting money on the ps3 in the first place.

hahahaha... oh man.

Peter said...

Yeah, the main venue seems to be on the PS3, though I looked into it and it sounds like it's free on the PS3 network thing. But yeah, still pretty ridiculous. I wonder if it got a graphical upgrade on that from the flash one? Cuz if not, heh. PS3. Heh.

cobaltgrc said...

Reminds me of Electroplankton for the DS

If you want games that push the envelope in experimentation you might want to check out what Nintendo has to offer, for the Wii I recommend WarioWare: Smooth Moves This games a blast -- anyone can get into it -- oh and it's a great party game.

Also, for the PC you might want to keep a close eye on Spore. It's a game where you start out as a single celled amoeba and slowly evolve to conquer the galaxy. People are billing it as being a revolution in gaming -- However, I am still skeptical.

Oh, and.. PS3 SUXZORZ TEH FUKIN LOTZ!!!11