Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Brave New World

...of console gaming. Yes, yes, this isn't exactly a new field of entertainment for most of you, but it's not something I've ever really had a chance to experience. Until very, very recently, the extent of my console gaming consisted of:

-Playing on a first-gen Game Boy at a parents' friend's house
-watching a friend play some of Ocarina of Time
-Dead or Alive 2
-watching Josh play Metal Gear Solid 2
-getting my ass handed to me at Goldeneye
-playing on an SNES emulator occasionally

And that's seriously about it. Recently though, I've been playing more SNES games (Lost Vikings, ChronoTrigger, Donkey Kong Country) and getting into Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm enjoying it a lot. And now, it seems, my comp's going to need a major overhaul to get caught up with the next wave of games, thanks to Vista and PCI-express/DX10 advances. I'm sure this'll all be awesome and pretty-looking in about 2 years when the prices come down and the bugs get ironed out, but for now, I'm looking for an alternative.

So basically, I want you guys' advice on which system to get into - PS2 or Nintendo DS, or maybe both? Also, definitely game suggestions - I know a lot of the big-name ones, but there's probably a lot out there that I don't know about that you guys might, especially for the DS. So yes, talk about your favorite games, and let me know what I can look forward to! Plus, if you know anything to watch out for in my search for the new system, that would also be greatly appreciated - I heard something about the old non-"slim" PS2 not running some of the more recent games, thought I have a sneaking suspicion that was just a GameStop employee trying to make more money.

5 comments:

cobaltgrc said...

Hmm.. well what kind of life are you living? Both the DS and PS2 are solid choices, but it kind of depends on how you want to play.

The DS is great to pick up and play for a short while, it can be closed at anytime and it pauses the game you're playing.. perfect for short bursts. The DS is also good for commutes via train or bus, sit back and enjoy a few games while you wait to get to your destination. The DS has a lot of good and interesting games that should full fill any gamers fix. I wouldn't recommend the DS for marathon gaming sessions.. that might cause too much eye strain.

I don't have much experience with the PS2, but I hear wonderful things - it has a huge collection of games and the price seems to be at a perfect jumping on point. I even hear that the PS2 is outselling the PS3, lol, poor sony.

Again, both are good choices, it just depends on what you want to do with them.

Peter said...

I've actually recently come into possession of a free DS...I'm still looking for a cheap DS Lite off eBay or something, but for the moment I'm waiting for Castlevania and enjoying Pokemon (I never thought I'd say that).

Hillary said...

Oooh. Pokemon!
Have you caught them all, Peter? Have you?
Glad you are enjoying the DS ;)

cobaltgrc said...

which Pokemon?

Peter said...

LeafGreen. I read that it's most similar to the first one. It's pretty fun, and I have Yurtle the Squirtle and Spearow Agnew. Kind of mindless, but in a good sort of way.