Monday, March 19, 2007

Ookami da ne?


So, someone has very clearly been raiding just about every video game fantasy I've had since I started gaming. And that someone is Capcom. I vaguely remember reading about this somewhere when it came out in the US, I think on PennyArcade maybe, but then I had placed it ruefully out of my mind because back then I thought I'd never own a PS2. Well, that is almost certainly going to change soon, and I randomly ran into a guy I hadn't talked to in a year or two this afternoon who reminded me of Okami's existence. I promptly started to drool in a Pavlovian response, and here's why.

You play a wolf. Who is the Japanese goddess Amaterasu. Who fights, not only by the various and sundry wolfy means of biting, scratching, and anime-jumping all around the screen, but also by painting. The whole game visuals are in a stylized version of medieval Japanese art, and one of the major ways to interact with the world is to use the paintbrush - a giant, time-stopping brush that can cleave enemies in twain, slice apart obstacles, and add color to the world. That's the objective; to return color and nature to the world.

So in summary, you play as a wolf-avatar who has to traverse a stylized medieval Japan to save nature. I. Cannot. Wait.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Woah, sounds badass. And this is for PS2? As I told Andy, I decided a long time ago to buy a PS2; it's just a matter of when/

JavaBomberman said...

lawl, fkn hippies.

NWS said...

You can have my PS2, Pete. It can be kinda lazy, but it still works. You'll need to get your own memory card, though.

PS3 4eva!

Peter said...

Holy cows, awesome! And yeah the PS3 is sick...I was down on it initially because of Wii fanboying, but damn. The PS3 looks amazing. Then again, so does the PS2. Stella, you pwn.

Unknown said...

Get 'er done Pete.

Peter said...

Sweet, I just won a copy of this.

NWS said...

Putting it in the mail on Monday.

April said...

This is the type of video game that I would love to watch other people play, but not play myself.

Which pretty much describes my entire gaming philosophy. I had a similiar relationship with Battle of the Colossus.