Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Sometimes Poke's assessment of my school is right

/rant

He usually characterizes us with extreme generalizations (I mean, we can't ALL be hippies, otherwise those of you in DG would be able to smell the pot/BO from home), but at the moment I'm pretty annoyed at the cliched liberalism here. I mean, I'm all for most liberal things, but THINK about your political stances and actions, people. For instance, this Friday is Hurricane Katrina Reflection Day, filled with panels and mini-seminars on various aspects of the hurricane. Now, I wouldn't normally have any objection to this, but for some reason this particular cause is worthy of cancelling classes and devoting the whole fucking day to it. This from the school which has classes as normal on NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. Not like, Flag Day or Arbor Day or one of the "...and it was the best ____ ever!" at the end of a story. Holidays such as Memorial Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. And yet, a horrible (but not in comparison to much of the rest of the stuff going on in the world today) natural disaster that occurred 7+ months ago somehow warrants this special treatment. WTF, Carleton, WTF. OMG, at least give us a BBQ. Ahem. It's just that, though well-intentioned, this event is not only horribly contrived but also, the special treatment being afforded it just cries out "Look prospective students who happen to be visiting around this time of year! We're really liberal here! Don't you like liberals?" Ugh. Have some PRIDE, school. And democrats. Andy's right.

/end rant

In other, more fun news, it's only about 14 hours until the demo of Gal Civ 2 comes out, and then I get to enjoy my delicious 4-day weekend (the upshot of the above annoying school event) with that, girlfriend, parties, and other such ways in which to fritter away my time. More work is being done on the Werewolf stories, and also EXALTED! Good times will hopefully ensue from this, and the more I see of 2nd Edition, the more I like. I'm going to be running a game for some of my friends up here, so it'll be a good chance to get a feel for the new rules for this summer.

WELL, thanks for reading this far (if you gave up earlier, well, you don't get these kind thanks, do you?) and I'm off to play a little more Murloc RPG. Classic.

3 comments:

JavaBomberman said...

did I see 'girlfriend' snuck in there? details peter, details.

Peter said...

Hmm, indeed you did Hans. It's coming up on...two months now? Craziness. Her name's Karen, good times are being had by all, and she's all kinds of pleasing. But I haven't gotten pregnant yet, AHEM YOU FKR. ;-)

cobaltgrc said...

"Andy's right."

That's all I needed to hear.